Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Bible Study

As some of you may know, I do the music for Set Free ministry's weekly services. They are a church based out of Los Angeles that reaches out to the kind of people that most churches want nothing to do with: homeless, drug addicts, alcoholics, gang members, ex-cons, and so on. Two of the bigger churches are Set Free Skid Row, and Set Free Yucaipa.

Their program is simple. They bring people off the streets, out of their negative environment, and give them a regimented program of discipline, health, work, Bible study, and positive community.

Since the Kansas City Set Free is so small, pastor Reggie depends on other local pastors or leaders to come in and help out with the daily Bible studies. So starting next week, I'm going to be leading one of their Bible studies, and right now I'm planning on going through 2 Corinthians ("when I am weak, then I am strong").

It's going to be pretty challenging to try to relate the message to people I have so little in common with. However, I'm hoping to really learn a lot about this important group of people, the "tax collectors, prostitutes, and sinners" of our generation.

In my opinion, people have a lot more in common each other than we'd like to admit. We all have family problems, hidden sins, embarrassing failures, and hopes and dreams for a better future. While we don't all sin in the same way, all have sinned, and we all need the same Jesus to forgive our sins and restore us to God.

So if you get a chance, send up a quick prayer to God to help me through this. I'm really looking forward to it!!

1 comment:

Deanie said...

Don't know if you recall, but I worked on an Emmaus weekend at the Prince William County Women's Jail back when we were still at Potomac Crest. I didn't think a Donna Reed like me would have anything to offer these women, but I was so wrong.

You have the Good News of Jesus Christ to offer them, and no matter what your background, they will accept it, and you, too. Pastor Charlie used to say that as a church, we should be "telling starving people where the food is."

We will be praying for the Holy Spirit to be preparing their hearts ahead of time, so that your words will fall on soil that is ready to receive the seeds.