Friday, January 18, 2008

What Would Jesus Sing?

This is one of those things that I don't think anyone would find profound but me, but I was thinking tonight about Jesus singing. I don't recall that I've ever heard anyone ever talk about Jesus singing. The more I thought about it though, I just wondered how weird it would be with all those Psalms about the Jewish Messiah. Would Jesus sing about himself?

Surely he sang often. Jewish liturgy would almost demand it. But what about in his free time? Did he have one of the apostles lead in worship before the sermon on the mount. Did he have private worship times when he went alone to pray? I can only guess that he directed the worship toward the Father, but the whole trinity thing is way beyond me.

Then I wonder, would Jesus ever sing about us? Of course not in worship, but if we sing when we're happy, did Jesus sing when he was happy with his disciples? In the preschool Sunday School class, we have songs where we can insert every child's name and sing about them. Would Jesus sing songs like that about his children?

I've heard the phrase "God loves you/me" so many times that it really doesn't strike me as amazing anymore. I get more excited when I think that God actually LIKES me, is proud of me, is working for my good, is on my side, gave his life to rescue me, enjoys my company, likes it when I use the gifts he gave me, is happy when I work with my brothers and sisters, and so on.

While I can't answer any of my own rhetorical questions, it is quite a comforting thought to think about Jesus in heaven singing, "I love Andrew, this you know, for my Gospel tells you so."

No comments: