Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Eve

I am getting ready for the Christmas Eve service tomorrow night. I just had a couple of thoughts about the whole Christmas experience.

--Christmas is too busy!! Between 12+ hour shifts at my "part-time" job, preparing for finals at school, shopping, digging out of the snow, and trying to think about Jesus, something's got to give. I, personally, cannot plan or participate in a big Christmas Spectacular event. I think that this is why I've always preferred very intimate, small, and meaningful worship times around Christmas. Churches should really stop trying to compete with professional productions and just keep it simple. Honestly, we should really quit adding to the chaos of the season, and instead provide a remedy.

--Christmas should be liturgical. I, myself, have never been to a Christmas mass, but I really have the desire to be a part of something old and constant and true around Christmas. There is something so beautiful about the simplicity of candles and an unplugged service. I don't know what it is, but I just crave that kind of thing every year, and I can never find it. (Yeah, I'm still waiting to be put in charge of the world, I know). Also, I hear the Christmas story out of Luke and Matthew every year and I really don't get tired of it. In my opinion, it's OK to do the same songs and Scriptures (i.e., liturgy) around this time simply because there are 48 weeks until the next time we do it.

--Christmas should focus on Jesus. It sounds obvious to say this, but again, everybody wants to put their own new twist on Christmas, so it becomes about abstract things like peace, joy, and love. These are great, but I'm not a hippie. Also, I find them very domesticated concepts, since Santa preaches the same message.

May God richly bless you with His "presence" this Christmas ;) I'm gonna go buy some candles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I tell my favorite story about you? It was our first Christmas at Plymouth Haven Baptist Church, and there had been activities every night for two weeks or more. Lots of sitters, or being dragged out with us, and you were getting pretty tired of it (you had just turned 6). In the middle of our struggles to get everyone dressed and out the door, you said "I wish Christmas was on October 11." Frazzled and impatient, I asked "Why in the world would you want THAT?!?!?" You answered, "I've been so busy, I haven't had any time to think about Jesus!" There's nothing like being chastised by a 6 year old! We tried very hard after that to tone down the frantic pace, and made sure we had time to think about Jesus!