Friday, December 14, 2007

Visioneering -4- The Bible

I feel like I came across almost anti-Bible for the previous post. For the record, I am not.

I know some of you out there in Blog-land are going to hate this, but I am an inerrantist. I believe the Bible is completely true and accurate, and even more, the only objective authority in our life. Having said that, as my theology professor says, "The Bible is not the fourth person of the trinity." I get a little weirded out when churches start singing hymns and choruses of praise to the Bible, such as "Holy Bible, Book Divine," or "Ancient Words."

I also get a little nervous when people start using the biblical inerrancy platform to say that their interpretation is also inerrant on everything. Here we see the fuzzy line between the Bible's authority and my authority.

Here's my point. I love the Bible; I want to live like the Bible tells me; I want others to love the Bible and read it every day. However, LECTURE IS BORING!! I want to explore other ways to teach the Bible to people without boring them and putting them to sleep. Lecture is NOT the only God-ordained way to teach and preach. This is why video, art, music, and drama are so important. They capture the attention and imagination better than a boring lecture (TWO boring lectures if you also go to Sunday School!).

Nobody better accuse me of taking the Bible lightly. I am, however, very open to accusations of how I take the Bible to others, so long as you don't lecture me.

End Communication.

No comments: